Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hitch Hiker Extraordinaire

When I came out of the grocery store today , I found this sitting on the hood of the car.

" Oh, well ! It will blow off once the car is moving ."

NOT...

This Katydid merely made adjustments and clung to her/his spot with determination in the face of major forces . Neither speed , wind nor inertia was able to move this little insect from its place .


rear view
 As our car accelerated the Katydid simply oriented itself to face the wind . When the speed increased , it placed its back legs fully out behind until the legs were almost straight. It bent the front legs until it crouch-touched its thorax to the hood. When we turned left , the Katydid moved its back right foot to the right a centimetre or so to counteract inertia . On right turns , it moved the left one .

Even when the car was going up to 90 kph (50-55 mph) , the Katydid clung to the car's hood navigating carefully the whole time . Mind you , the wind at high speed did shake her a bit but she prevailed . I figure 5-10 km faster would have lifted her free . Thank heaven the car was dirty and not freshly washed and waxed .


front view
 Well Katy did make it to my place and stayed just long enough for me to snap a couple of pics ,before she flew/hopped away . I expect to see her ... well her camouflage makes it difficult , so 'notice her presence' is more appropriate ... when large chunks of leaves start disappearing in my garden.

Actually I hope this insect hitch hiker is not a Katydid but a 'Kenny-did' . I don't think I want a plague in my garden .

Well , maybe the robins will find Katy/Kenny before I do .

No comments:

Post a Comment